maps & website by Michael Jones

Gold Lake

affiliated with

Sacramento Valley Hiking Conference




Campfire Permits

A campfire permit is requires to use a gas stove or make a campfire outside a developed campground.  They are free.  They are good for a calendar year.  You may obtain one from any US Forest Service, CalFire, or US Bureau of Land Management office.

Campfires are prohibited in Bucks Lake Wilderness since 2001

or you can get by fax or mail from Mendocino National Forest:

To obtain a Campfire Permit via FAX

Please read the following instructions for obtaining a California Campfire Permit via FAX from the Mendocino National Forest.

NOTE: The document listed below is a PDF file and requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.

  1. Download Form R5-FS-5100-54. (pdf 271kb)
  2. Read all instructions and requirements of the permit before signing.
  3. Permits must be signed by an adult eighteen years of age or older.
  4. The signer upon signing, acknowledges and agrees to all conditions of the permit.
  5. Permits are not valid until, NAME, ADDRESS, CITY, STATE, & ZIP CODE are filled in (please print) and permittee signs and dates (at bottom of permit).
  6. Permits must then be sent via FAX to (530) 934-7384 Attention: Campfire Permits. The approved permit will be returned to you via fax (if you wish to provide your fax number) or by regular Postal Service mail, as this is YOUR permit that you will need to have with you when camping and using a fire (campfire or stove) in the National Forest in areas that require a permit.

Mendocino National Forest
825 N. Humboldt Ave.
Willows, CA 95988

here is the 2009 version, if their links aren't working